You’ve probably heard about the benefits of vitamin C and zinc, but did you know that mushrooms such as reishi and maitake provide powerful support for a stressed immune system? Your daily supplement should include vitamin C, zinc, and antioxidants for comprehensive immune protection. Read on to discover more ways you can stay well during the cold and flu season.
5 Things You Can Do Now To Protect Your Immune System
- Sleep deep, and enough: Lack of sleep may cause inflammation in the body, which can challenge your immune system.
- Exercise more, stress less: Some studies show that even 20 minutes of exercise, three times a week, can increase the body’s immune function. Chronic stress leaves your body susceptible to stress hormones, which suppress the immune system.
- Eat an apple instead of drinking a soda: Boost your immunity with more antioxidants (fruits, vegetables, and mushrooms such as reishi and maitake). Processed sugar suppresses your immune system. Did you know that just one soda can reduce your body’s ability to destroy bacteria?
- Swap your cocktail for a green tea: The catechins in green tea are powerful antioxidants. In contrast, more than one alcoholic drink per day makes it difficult for your immune system to kill bacteria. The more you drink, the weaker your immune system.
- BEFORE you get a cold or flu, ask your healthcare provider for an immune-support supplement: Both vitamin C and zinc increase immune cell activity. Consuming an array of mushrooms such as reishi, shiitaki, and maitake are good for a stressed immune system.
Not all supplements are created equally
- Make sure your supplement claims are backed by scientific research
- Your supplement should be scientifically tested for quality and potency
- Vitamin C that is “buffered” is less likely to upset your stomach
- Mushrooms as heated “water extracts” may have a higher potency
- Consider selenium and oleanolic acid for supporting immune cell activity.
- Remember Dr. Nenninger's Triple Flu Defense for a homeopathic approach.
Please visit us at: Innovative Nutrition, 206 Rt. 25A, East Setauket, NY and online at: www.innovative-nutrition.net