Americans will spend nearly $3 billion on Halloween costumes this year, and the majority of them will dress as witches, vampires, princesses and other traditional outfits.
The National Retail Federation’s 2012 Top Halloween Costumes survey reports that 10 percent of children plan to dress as a princess, while six million adults plan to go as a witch.
Batman is the second most popular Halloween costume for kids, while the character – along with other characters from The Dark Knight Rises – is fourth for adults.
Some people plan take their outfit cues from current events, whether it’s an athlete, political figure or something else entirely.
“With nearly one in 10 celebrants taking their costume cues from current events, we’ll see plenty of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney look-alikes out-and-about for Halloween,” said Pam Goodfellow, a director at the survey firm BIGinsight. “However, we expect these ‘rivals’ will be able to find some common ground over the punch bowl or a bag of candy.”
Last year Patch websites throughout the country sought the most original Halloween costume for a Halloween contest, and a headless boy from New Jersey took the top prize.
If you are looking for that perfect costume, here is a list of retailers in Smithtown.
- Cedarhurst Party: This part store on Larkfield Road in East Northport has costumes ranging from superheroes to pirates and everything in between.
- Party City: Just a few doors down, Party City on Vets Highway has a huge array of costumes and Halloween decorations for your last minute party or trick-or-treating needs.
- Spirit Halloween: This national chain of Halloween costume retailers has opened a shop in Lake Grove. If you are already out shopping, it's a convenient place to grab last-minute costumes and accessories.
- Longs Island Costumes, a family-run business sells and rents any kind of costume you can possibly imagine. The store also stocks all the accessories to complete your look, such as contact lenses, makeup, wigs, masks, boas and more. They have a huge inventory – over 4000 different costumes.
- Rite Aid, CVS, K-Mart, Wallmart and Target also all carry a selection of costumes.
And here is the full list from the National Retail Federation
Top Adult Costumes
Top Children’s Costumes
4. Batman character
5. Disney princess
6. Action/super Hero
Patch Wants to know: What do you plan on being for Halloween? Let us know in the comment section below.